Upcoming Virtual Programming
Library Card Sign-Up Month
Don’t have a library card yet? Now is the time to get one and access all we have to offer in print titles and digital formats. Those that register for a library card this month, will get a free book when they pick up their card. You must be school-aged (Kindergarten and Up) and a Weston Resident to be eligible for a library card. Register here.
Adoptables: Plush Reading Buddies
Registration available September 1-11.
Pickup September 15-September 30.
For Ages 3-14.
Want a stuffed buddy to read to? Get one of our animal “Adoptables.” These are farm animal plushies that you can keep (forever) and read to using the reading log provided. Read for fun, read with your buddy! Limited supplies. Regisrration Form HERE. *Must fill out separate registration form for each child/teen.
Mondays-Saturdays, 11-4 (when Library is open)
For Children, Teens and Adults.
Grab a craft-to-go bag at the entrance to the children’s room. Each craft is labeled on the outside with the name and has directions if more than a simple coloring craft. For all ages. Different crafts each day we are opened.
“Banded” Banned Books
Banned Books Week September 28-October 2.
For All Ages.
We will have 2-5 challenged/banned books for age groups “banded” together for check out.
Facebook LIVE Programs:
Alphabet Soup: Stories & Learning
Wednesdays, September 16, 23 & 30 @ 10:00 AM on FB LIVE.
For Ages 3-6. * Registration required for material pick-up.
Join Miss Alessandra on Facebook LIVE for themed stories, songs and activities. Pick up this month’s folder with book titles, song lyrics and activity sheets the week of September 8-11. Registration required for materials.
Thursdays, September 17 & 24 @ 10:00 AM on FB LIVE.
For Ages 2-4. * Registration required for material pick-up.
Join Miss Alessandra on Facebook LIVE for a themed book, song and building activity. Pick up this month’s Tinker materials and activity sheets the week of September 8-11. Registration required for materials.
Fridays, September 18 & 25 on FB LIVE.
For Ages 10+.
Listen to the first chapter of a new Junior Fiction or Young Adult Fiction book. If you like it, you can place a hold and pick it up at the library.
Banned Books Bingo
Tuesday, September 29 @ 4:00 PM.
For Children, Teens and Adults.
*Registration required for Bingo Card and Chips pick-up.
Join Miss Alessandra in this fun Bingo game where you will learn about Banned Books and play to win copies of these books. Registration required. Pick up your bingo card and chips for this event the week of September 21-25.
ZOOM LIVE EVENTS:
Registration required on calendar
Home with the Hounds
Thursdays, September 3, 10, 17, and 24 @ 7:00 PM on Zoom.
For children in grades 1-4.
Registration required for the day you wish to attend and read. Limited slots available.
Improve your reading by reading aloud (via Zoom) to either Honey Nut Cheerio (the Chihuahua) or Marlo (the Shephard/Lab mix), our Resident Library Dogs. You will get a 20 minute time-slot to read to one of the dogs (be sure to register for the date you wish to read). You will be asked to select a book prior to the program so we can start on time. The Zoom link will be sent to you the day of the program.
Carry Out & Craft: Paracord Bracelet
Monday, September 21 @ 4:00 PM on Zoom.
For Grades 4+.
Registration required. Limited Supplies.
Join Miss Alessandra as she guides you through making your own Paracord Bracelet. Pick up of bracelet materials is September 14-18 at the library. You must register in order to get materials. The Zoom link will be sent to you the day of the program.
Alice in Wonderland Freedom to Read Tea Party
Monday, September 28 @ 4:00 PM on Zoom.
For Grades K-6.
Registration required. Limited Materials.
Join Miss Alessandra in a virtual tea party. While you listen to the first chapter of an often challenged and banned book, Alice in Wonderland, you can decorate your own tea cup provided by the library or enjoy some tea. Pick up of tea cup craft is the week of September 21-25. Must be registered to receive materials. You will receive the zoom link the day of the event.
Save the Date: Don’t Get “Banned” Trivia
Thursday, October 1 @ 4:00 PM on Zoom.
For Teens and Adults.
Join Miss Alessandra and test your knowledge of this Banned Books Week “Banned” themed Trivia to win our basket of goodies. Must register by Wednesday, September 30th to receive zoom link.
Save the Date: Cartooning with Rick Stromoski- Monster Edition!
Tuesday, October 20 @ 4:00 PM on Zoom.
For Ages 5+.
Registration required to get zoom link.
Join Cartoonist Rick Stromoski for another guided drawing lesson. This time he will guide you through the steps in order for you to create the perfect Monster. What perfect timing with Halloween right around the corner. You will receive the zoom link the day of the event.
Recordings posted here at their specific times, on Facebook and on our YouTube Channel.
Storytime with Miss Laura
Tuesdays, September 1, 8, 15, 22 & 29. Video posted @ 10:00 AM.
For Ages Birth-8.
Watch Miss Laura read stories and sing songs and join along at your own leisure.
Craft @ Home
Wednesdays, September 2, 9, 16, 23 & 30. Video posted @ 3:30 PM.
For Ages 3+.
Follow Miss Laura as she guides you through making a craft using household items. * Please note: supplies for these crafts are not provided, but are materials you likely have in your home.
- 9/2: Pencil Toppers– Materials Needed: pipe cleaners, pom-poms, googly eyes, hot glue gun or strong tacky glue, scissors.
- 9/9: Torn Paper Scarecrow– Materials Needed: Brown, Orange, Red, Yellow, White construction paper or cardstock, glue, brown, black and red markers, scissors.
- 9/16: Library Card Pouch– Materials Needed: Felt piece at least 6×4 inches, felt scraps, hot glue gun or tacky glue, scissors, button.
- 9/23: Raised Salt Painting– Materials Needed: Cardboard or Black/White cardstock, squeeze bottle of glue, table salt, liquid watercolors or watered-down food coloring, paint brushes or paint droppers.
- 9/30: Pom-Pom Shooters- Materials Needed: Paper cups or rolls, 12″ balloons, pom-poms, duct tape, construction paper, scissors, ruler.
Ongoing Virtual Programming
2021 Nutmeg Book Award Information: May 1, 2020-April 30, 2021 we invite CT Youth to read the Nutmeg Book Award Nominees which will then be voted on in April of 2021. Videos about the 2021 nominees, where you can access digital copies, and information on voting can be found on our NUTMEG BOOK AWARD PAGE. Congratulations to our Nutmeg Book Award 2020 Winners for all four levels: Elementary: A Boy Called Bat by Elana K. Arnold Intermediate: Ban This Book by Alan Gratz Middle School: Posted by John David Anderson High School: Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds
1000 Books Before Kindergarten: Even though we aren’t opened, doesn’t mean your child can’t continue on their 1000 books before kindergarten challenge. Just keep track of the books they are reading and collect all the fun prizes when we reopen. More information on the program can be found HERE.
Past Virtual Programming Videos
- Tuesday, March 24 Recording
- Thursday, April 2 Recording
- Thursday, April 9 Recording
- Thursday, April 16 Recording
- Thursday, April 23 Recording
- Thursday, April 30 Recording
- Thursday, May 7 Recording
- Thursday, May 7 Recording
- Thursday, May 14 Recording
- Thursday, May 21 Recording
- Thursday, May 28 Recording
Past LIVE recordings of storytime can be found in our Facebook Archive.
- March 23rd: Fabric Scraps Mosaic
- March 30th: Duct Tape Checker Board
- April 6th: Cardboard Box Marble Maze
- April 13th: Paper Marble Roller Coaster
- April 20th: Butterfly Zip line
- April 27th: Balloon Bowls
- May 4th: Paper Plate Gift Basket for Mother’s Day
- May 11th: Recycled Magazine Baskets
- May 18th: Recycled Can Bird Feeder
- June 1st: Paper Cup Parachute
- June 8th:Straw Paddle Boat
- June 15th:Cardboard Box Table Soccer
- June 22nd: Paper Tube Ball and Cup Game
- June 29: Paper Plate Ring Toss
- July 6: Bird Swings
- July 13: Three Little Pigs House Challenge
- July 20: Fairy/Troll House
- July 27: Recycled Musical Instruments
- August 3: Butterfly Feeders
- August 10: Yard Games
Fun with Food
- Week 1: Carnivals/Circus/Fairs- Red, White and Blue Frozen Lemonades and Cinnamon Caramel Apples Video
- Week 2: Animals- Cream Cheese Penguins and Worm Cakes Video
- Week 3: Fairytales/Myths/Stories/Rhymes/Songs- Harry Potter Pretzel and Cheese Broomsticks and Harry Potter Imitation Butter Beer
- Week 4: Mythical Creatures- Dragon Smoothies and Dragon Waffles Video
- Week 5: Art- Artist’s Palette Sugar Cookies and Rainbow Unicorn Slushies Video
- Week 6: Nature Fun with Food video cancelled due to power outage
- Week 7: Summer Fun- Pineapple Orange Coolers and Banana Yogurt Pops Video
Craft @ Home
- March 25:Springtime Wreath
- April 1: Egg Carton Dragonfly
- April 8: Toilet Paper Easter Bunny
- April 15th: Egg Carton Trees for Earth Day
- April 22nd: Windsocks
- April 29th: Paper Roll Rainbow Flower
- May 6th: Q-tip Daisies
- May 13th: Paper Plate Snails
- May 20th: Paper Strip Rainbows
- May 27th: Silly Monsters
- June 3rd: Bottle Cap Bees
- June 10th: Paper Plate Sailboat
- June 17th: Paper Spinner
- June 24th: Paper Roll Fireflies
Digital Book Recommendations:
- Recommendations using HOOPLA
- Recommendations using OverDrive
- Recommendations using RBdigital Part 1 and Part 2
- Recommendations using SimplyE
- Recommendations of Favorite E-Books
- Recommendations of Favorite Audiobooks
- Friday, May 8 Recording
- Friday, May 15 Recording
- Friday, May 22 Recording
- Friday, June 5 Recording
- Friday, June 12 Recording
Lego Challenge: From March 24th-June 23rd each week we posted a building challenge for you to make with LEGOS. Below you can see the challenges if you dare try to make them.
- March 24th: 20 BLUE LEGOS only
- March 31st: Using at least 3 DIFFERENT colors and at least 30 LEGO pieces- Build Your Bedroom
- April 7th: Using at least 10 LEGOS, build your favorite book character.
- April 14th: Using as many different color LEGOs as you have available, create a colorful animal and name it.
- April 21st: To celebrate Earth Day, this week we ask that you recreate a scene in nature with your LEGOs
- April 28th: Build a Monster as Tall as you can with your LEGOs
- May 5th: Since Yesterday was Star Wars Day (May 4th), build something Star Wars related with your LEGO’s this week
- May 12th: Today create a flying object (this could be real-birds, insects, planes, helicopter or these could be imaginary-flying vehicles, mythical creatures).
- May 19th: Create a vehicle, ie: cars, trucks, planes, UFO’s, trains, boats.
- May 26th: Build a Restaurant. What type of restaurant is it? What kinds of food will they serve? Burgers? Tacos? Ice Cream?
- June 2nd: Build a Summer Beach Scene
- June 9th: Build your dream Library
- June 16th: Use your LEGOs to create a Safari/Zoo!
- June 23rd: Final Lego Challenge: Create your LEGO city with all the things you would want in your dream city/town/island.
Photo Challenge:From March 25th-June 17th each week we posted a photo challenge of a picture to take of something specific. Below find all the challenges if you dare try to take all the pictures.
- March 25th: Take a picture of you reading with an animal (Stuffed or living)
- April 1st: Take a picture of flowers inside your home or in your front or back yards
- April 8th: Take a picture of something fun you are doing at home or outside.
- April 15th: It is a beautiful day today, go outside and find a cloud to take a picture of. Let us know what you see in the cloud or what shape it reminds you of.
- April 22nd: Go outside and take a picture of a bird or birdhouse in or around your yard.
- April 29th: To end Poetry Month: Take a picture of something that inspires you to write a poem- write the poem about that picture.
- May 6th: May is Get Caught Reading Month, take a picture of someone in your family reading this week.
- May 13th: I’m hearing lots of springtime sounds from outside: birds, lawn-mowers, dogs barking. Today, your challenge is to take a picture of something that makes a sound so that we can all imagine hearing it.
- May 20th: Some families opened their pools this week-Take a picture of a body of water: lake, pond, stream, river, pool.
- May 27th: Take a photo of a place you like to sit outside. Is it a hammock? Next to your pool? Where is your favorite sitting spot?
- June 3rd: Food! Take a photo of something you have baked/cooked and enjoyed this week.
- June 10th: Take a picture of an insect.
- June 17th: Take a photo of an item or items that are your favorite color.