Upcoming Virtual Programming
Mondays-Saturdays, 11-4 (when Library is open)
For Children, Teens and Adults.
|Grab a craft-to-go bag at the entrance to the children’s room. Each craft is labeled on the outside with the name and has directions if more than a simple coloring craft. For all ages. Different crafts each day we are opened Monday-Saturday 11am-4pm.|
Winter Wonderland Buckets
Requests: November 23-December 28
Pick-ups: December 1-30 by email notification
Families and Teens can request a Winter Wonderland Bucket for pickup December 1-31 using the google form link below. Once your request has been received, please wait until you get an e-mail from Miss Alessandra letting you know that your Bucket has been created. Each bucket comes with: a popcorn bucket, 2 microwavable popcorn bags, 2 Instant Hot Chocolate Bags, themed candy pieces (ie. candy canes), and choice of 1 book per child/teen and 2 movies total (regardless of how many people are in the family). Please use the form below to give us information to curate your perfect Winter Wonderland Bucket. 1 Family OR 1 Teen Bucket per household. Request submissions will begin 11/23 and end 12/28.
Book C.H.A.T. Box Pick-Up
Join one of our January Book C.H.A.T.s These are not ordinary book chats. When you register for a Book C.H.A.T. you will be able to pick up a box of items that is full of Crafts, Handfuls of munchies, Art, and Texts around a theme. What does this mean? In your box you will have a copy of the book discussion book, crafts that go along with the book, handfuls of candy or snacks that go along with the book, art/decor that go along with the book and another book hand-selected for you around that month’s theme. You get to KEEP everything (even the books!). Our December/January Book C.H.A.T. Box theme is Winter. We then ask that you read the book discussion book (all that sign up will have 1 book that is the same) and join us via Zoom in January for a short discussion about the book. Tell us what you loved, what you hated, would you recommend it and even share if you read your other book selection from your box or another favorite you’ve read around that month’s theme. This month all of our book chat discussions have also had movies made out of the books. Did you see the movie? Please only register for a Book C.H.A.T. Box if you plan to attend the zoom interactive portion of this program (the book discussion). Pick-up your Book C.H.A.T. Box for December/January during the weeks December 7-11 and December 14-18 during our open hours of 11am-4pm at the children’s room. Register for your box by clicking the appropriate age group link below. Links to register:
Noon Years’ Eve Virtual Party
For Ages Birth-12.
Thursday, December 31 @ 11:00 am-12:15pm via Zoom
Join us for a virtual Noon Year’s Eve Party! Ages birth-12. We will do crafts, enjoy snacks, have music, play games, and do a countdown to NOON YEAR’S EVE! Families can request a Noon Year’s Eve Party Pack to be used for our Noon Year’s Eve Party on Zoom that will take place Thursday, December 31 from 11:00 AM-12:15 PM. Packs must be picked up December 21-30 during the time the library is open to the general public 11am-4pm Monday-Saturday (we are closed Dec. 24 & 25). Limited Space. Only fill this form out if you intend to partake in the zoom event and will be able to pick up your party pack. Please note: We will not provide party packs to those not attending the zoom event. 1 submission per family. Please register here directly for the zoom event and REQUEST PARTY PACK HERE.
Each Party Pack contains:
- Crafts (5 per child- these will be opened at different times during the party)
- New Year’s Eve non-edible treats (2 per child)
- 8 Balloons (parents must blow them up)
- Candy (optional)
- Treat bag per child (cookies, crackers or chips-all individually packed)
- Time Capsule form and box per child
Facebook LIVE Programs:
Alphabet Soup: Stories and Learning
December Session Runs:
Wednesdays, December 9, 16, 23 & 30 @ 10:00 AM. For ages 3-6.
Join Miss Alessandra on Facebook LIVE for themed stories, songs and activities.*Registration required for material pick-up. Must register on 12/9 date to get materials. Pick up November folder with book titles, song lyrics, and activity sheets the week of November 30-December 4.
December Session Runs:
Thursdays, December 10 & 17 @ 10:00 AM. For ages 2-4.
Join Miss Alessandra on Facebook LIVE for a themed book, song and building activity. *Registration required for material pick-up. Must register on 12/10 date to get materials. Pick up November’s Tinker materials and activity sheet the week of November 30-December 4.
Fridays, December 4, 11 & 18 on FB LIVE @ 4:00 PM.
For Ages 10+.
Listen to the first chapter of a new Junior Fiction or Young Adult Fiction book. If you like it, you can place a hold and pick it up at the library.
Monday, December 21@ 10:00 AM on FB LIVE.
For All Ages.
Join Miss Alessandra on the library’s facebook page for a special Winter storytime where she will read stories and sing songs for the official start of Winter!
ZOOM LIVE EVENTS:
Registration required on calendar
Food Explorers: Kids & Teens
Grades K-6 and Parents: Monday, December 7 @ 6:00 PM via Zoom
Learn How to Make Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones
Registration required to get zoom link.
Join Katie, Registered Dietitian from Food Explorers to make Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones! Katie will take you through step-by-step guided instructions on how to make these scones from scratch and answer questions along the way. You’ll need the following ingredients for this delicious treat: flour, baking powder, salt, pumpkin puree, brown sugar, powdered sugar, 1 egg, cinnamon, chocolate chips and optional: vanilla, pumpkin pie spice or allspice, ginger, nutmeg, cloves (any variation). A cheese grater is also recommended. We will send you the zoom link the day of the program. Registration is required. Please register as a family and use one zoom account.
Grades 6-12 and Adults: Monday, December 14 @ 6:00 PM via Zoom
Learn How to Make Homemade Pasta
Join Katie, Registered Dietitian from Food Explorers to make homemade pasta for your family! You’ll learn how to mix, knead, roll and cut your own fettuccine without needing a pasta machine! Using just a rolling pin and some muscles, you’ll have perfect pasta in no time. Katie will lead you through step-by-step instructions and answer questions along the way. You will need the following ingredients for this recipe: 2 eggs, AP flour, olive oil, salt and your choice of sauce and side. We will send you the zoom link the day of the program. Registration is required. Please register as a family and use one zoom account.
Tuesdays, December 8 & 22 @ 4:00 PM on Zoom.
For Grades 6-12.
Registration required to get zoom link. Please register separately for each date you want to participate in order to get the zoom link.
Join Miss Alessandra and your friends for a different Teen Scene each week on zoom. Come together and play, chat, and share. Register for the weeks you want in order to get that week’s Zoom link. Zoom links will be e-mailed the day of each program. Teen Scenes:
- 12/8: DIY Peppermint Sugar Scrub: Register to get a peppermint sugar scrub kit to make for yourself of a loved one this holiday season. Then join us on our Zoom event to be guided step-by-step on how to make the sugar scrub using your materials provided. Please only register for a kit if you plan to attend the Zoom interactive portion of this event. 1 Kit per person. Event will take place December 8 @ 4:00 PM. You will receive your zoom link at noon the day of the program. Please pick up your kit the week of November 30-December 4 at the children’s room during our open hours of 11am-4pm. Wait outside the room and we will get your kit for you.
- 12/22: Candy Sushi:In this Teen Scene program, those in grades 7-12 can register to get a a candy sushi kit to make at home. We then ask that you join us on our zoom event as we guide you through step-by-step instructions on how to make your candy sushi.. Please only register to get a kit if you plan to attend the zoom session for our interactive portion of this program. Registration is required. 1 Kit per teen. Zoom Links will be sent out at Noon on the day of the event, Tuesday, December 22. The event will take place at 4:00 PM. Pick-up of materials will be December 14-18 at the children’s room of the library during our open hours of 11am-4pm. Please wait outside the room and give your family name so we can grab your kit for you.
Thursdays, December 10 & 17 @ 4:00 PM via Zoom
Registration required separately for each week you wish to participate.
- 12/10: Snowball Catapult: Those in grades K-6 can register to get a Snowball Catapult STEM kit. We ask that you then join us on our zoom event on Thursday, December 10 @ 4:00 PM as we guide you through the step-by-step instructions on how to make the catapult and then test it out. Please only register for a kit if you plan to come to the zoom interactive portion of this program. Registration required. Pick-up of materials will be the week of November 30-December 4 and December 7-9 during our open hours of 11am-4pm at the children’s room.
- 12/17: Snowflake Loom: Those in grades K-6 can register to get a Snowflake Loom STEM kit. We ask that you then join us on our zoom event on Thursday, December 17 @ 4:00 PM as we guide you through the step-by-step instructions on how to make the loom Please only register for a kit if you plan to come to the zoom interactive portion of this program. Registration required. Pick-up of materials will be the week of December 7-11 and December 14-16 during our open hours of 11am-4pm at the children’s room.
Tuesdays, December 15 & 29 @ 4:00 PM on Zoom.
For Grades K-6.
Registration required to get zoom link. Please register separately for each date you want to participate in order to get the zoom link.
Join Miss Alessandra and your friends for a different Kid Realm each week on zoom. Come together and play, chat, and share. Register for the weeks you want in order to get that week’s Zoom link. Zoom links will be e-mailed the day of each program. Kid Realms:
- 12/15: Foam Gingerbread House: In this Kid Realm program, children in grades K-6 can register to get a foam gingerbread house kit to make at home. We then ask that you join us on our zoom event to share your ginger bread house with us and explain its special story. Please only register to get a kit if you plan to attend the zoom session for our interactive portion of this program. Registration is required. 1 KIT per family. Zoom Links will be sent out at Noon on the day of the event, Tuesday, December 15. The event will take place at 4:00 PM. Pick-up of materials will be December 7-11 at the children’s room of the library during our open hours of 11am-4pm. Please wait outside the room and give your family name so we can grab your kit for you.
- 12/29: Candy Sushi: In this Kid Realm program, children in grades K-6 can register to get a a candy sushi kit to make at home. We then ask that you join us on our zoom event as we guide you through step-by-step instructions on how to make your candy sushi.. Please only register to get a kit if you plan to attend the zoom session for our interactive portion of this program. Registration is required. 1 Kit per child. Zoom Links will be sent out at Noon on the day of the event, Tuesday, December 29. The event will take place at 4:00 PM. Pick-up of materials will be December 14-18 and December 21-23 at the children’s room of the library during our open hours of 11am-4pm. Please wait outside the room and give your family name so we can grab your kit for you.
Registration Required by Family.
Monday, December 21 @ 4:00 PM via Zoom.
Register for our cookie decorating program. Join us on Zoom on December 21 to get instructions on how to decorate pre-made holiday/winter themed cookies. The best part? We provide everything you need (but the oven and pans). Families that register will be able to pick up a cookie decorating kit that will include 5 cookie cutter shapes (all made by our 3D printer), a roll of cookie dough, frosting and food coloring. Miss Alessandra will instruct you on how to make frosting colors, how to use zip-locks as piping bags and how to decorate your cookies. All you have to do is bake them before the program and make sure they have had time to cool. Please only register for a kit if you plan to attend our interactive zoom portion of this program. Limit of 1 kit per family. Pickup of kits is the week of December 14-18 during our open hours of 11am-4pm at the children’s room. Let us know your name when you get here and we will get you your pre-made kit and refrigerated cookie dough.
Mug Crafts & Mug Cakes
Monday, December 28 @ 4:00 PM on Zoom.
For Grades 5-12
Registration required to get zoom link and kit.
Register to get a ceramic mug and markers that you will be able to decorate. You will also get mug cake ingredients to make a mug cake after your mug is finished. Then join us on Zoom for a showing of your mug (you can enjoy your cake with us or later). Please only register to get a Mug Craft & Mug Cakes kit if you plan to join the interactive Zoom portion of the program. Pickup of materials will be December 14-18 and December 21-23 during our open hours of 11am-4pm at the children’s room. Please give us your name and we will get your kit. 1 kit per person.
Recordings posted here at their specific times, on Facebook and on our YouTube Channel.
Craft @ Home
Wednesdays, November 4, 18 & 25 and December 2, 9, 16, 23 & 30. Video posted @ 3:30 PM.
For Ages 3+.
Follow Miss Laura as she guides you through making a craft using household items. * Please note: supplies for these crafts are not provided, but are materials you likely have in your home.
11/4: Paper Plate UFO – Materials: Two paper plates, clear plastic cup, construction paper, markers, pencil, scissors, hot glue gun or strong craft glue
11/18: Handprint Mail a Hug – Materials: Handmade or store bought card, construction paper or cardstock, washable paint, paintbrush, scissors, stapler, ribbon or yarn
11/25: DIY Race Car – Materials: Paint, paper fasteners to attach wheels, paper rolls, hole punch, paint brushes, stickers and other decorations
12/2- DIY Kaleidoscope – Materials: paper towel roll, 12×12 card stock or construction paper, thin clear plastic (scrap from packaging), colorful beads, hot glue gun or strong tacky glue, scissors, markers, aluminum foil, washi tape or other decorations
12/9- Snowy Owl Painting – Materials: large Pom-Pom, white paint; black, brown, green, yellow, orange construction paper, scissors, markers, glue stick, stickers (optional), small bowl or plate to hold paint
12/16- Cereal Box Crown- Materials: cereal box, assorted washable paints, gems and sequins, ribbon, glue, scissors, hole punch
12/23- Paper Roll Snowmen – Materials: paper rolls, glue, scissors, white paint, paintbrush, felt, pipe cleaners, black and orange markers or construction paper, pom-poms
12/30- Homemade Puffy Paint- Materials: flour, baking powder, salt, q tips, food coloring, bowls/containers, card stock or cardboard
Ongoing Virtual Programming
2021 Nutmeg Book Award Information: May 1, 2020-April 30, 2021 we invite CT Youth to read the Nutmeg Book Award Nominees which will then be voted on in April of 2021. Videos about the 2021 nominees, where you can access digital copies, and information on voting can be found on our NUTMEG BOOK AWARD PAGE. Congratulations to our Nutmeg Book Award 2020 Winners for all four levels: Elementary: A Boy Called Bat by Elana K. Arnold Intermediate: Ban This Book by Alan Gratz Middle School: Posted by John David Anderson High School: Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds
1000 Books Before Kindergarten: Even though we aren’t opened, doesn’t mean your child can’t continue on their 1000 books before kindergarten challenge. Just keep track of the books they are reading and collect all the fun prizes when we reopen. More information on the program can be found HERE.
Past Virtual Programming Videos
- Tuesday, March 24 Storytime
- Thursday, April 2 Storytime
- Thursday, April 9 Storytime
- Thursday, April 16 Storytime
- Thursday, April 23 Storytime
- Thursday, April 30 Storytime
- Thursday, May 7 Storytime
- Thursday, May 7 Storytime
- Thursday, May 14 Storytime
- Thursday, May 21 Storytime
- Thursday, May 28 Storytime
- 9/1: Back-to-School Storytime
- 9/8: All About Fall Storytime
- 9/15: Libraries! Storytime
- 9/22: Unpredictable Life Storytime
- 9/29: Imagination Storytime
- 10/6: Be Yourself Storytime
- 10/13: Turtles Storytime
- 10/20: Exploring Storytime
- 10/27: Halloween Storytime
- 11/3: Space Storytime
- 11/10: Kindness Storytime
- 11/17: In the Mood for Food Storytime
- 11/24: Animal Countdown
Past LIVE recordings of storytime can be found in our Facebook Archive.
- March 23rd: Fabric Scraps Mosaic
- March 30th: Duct Tape Checker Board
- April 6th: Cardboard Box Marble Maze
- April 13th: Paper Marble Roller Coaster
- April 20th: Butterfly Zip line
- April 27th: Balloon Bowls
- May 4th: Paper Plate Gift Basket for Mother’s Day
- May 11th: Recycled Magazine Baskets
- May 18th: Recycled Can Bird Feeder
- June 1st: Paper Cup Parachute
- June 8th:Straw Paddle Boat
- June 15th:Cardboard Box Table Soccer
- June 22nd: Paper Tube Ball and Cup Game
- June 29: Paper Plate Ring Toss
- July 6: Bird Swings
- July 13: Three Little Pigs House Challenge
- July 20: Fairy/Troll House
- July 27: Recycled Musical Instruments
- August 3: Butterfly Feeders
- August 10: Yard Games
Fun with Food
- Week 1: Carnivals/Circus/Fairs- Red, White and Blue Frozen Lemonades and Cinnamon Caramel Apples Video
- Week 2: Animals- Cream Cheese Penguins and Worm Cakes Video
- Week 3: Fairytales/Myths/Stories/Rhymes/Songs- Harry Potter Pretzel and Cheese Broomsticks and Harry Potter Imitation Butter Beer
- Week 4: Mythical Creatures- Dragon Smoothies and Dragon Waffles Video
- Week 5: Art- Artist’s Palette Sugar Cookies and Rainbow Unicorn Slushies Video
- Week 6: Nature Fun with Food video cancelled due to power outage
- Week 7: Summer Fun- Pineapple Orange Coolers and Banana Yogurt Pops Video
Craft @ Home
- 3/25: Springtime Wreath
- 4/1: Egg Carton Dragonfly
- 4/8: Toilet Paper Easter Bunny
- 4/15: Egg Carton Trees for Earth Day
- 4/22: Windsocks
- 4/29: Paper Roll Rainbow Flower
- 5/6: Q-tip Daisies
- 5/13: Paper Plate Snails
- 5/20: Paper Strip Rainbows
- 5/27: Silly Monsters
- 6/3: Bottle Cap Bees
- 6/10: Paper Plate Sailboat
- 6/17: Paper Spinner
- 6/24: Paper Roll Fireflies
- 7/1: Carnival Masks
- 7/ 8: Rainbow Fish
- 7/15: Pop Goes the Weasel
- 7/22: Unicorn Puppet
- 7/29: Color Collage
- 8/5: Nature Cuffs
- 8/12: Frisbees
- 9/2: Pencil Toppers
- 9/9: Torn Paper Scarecrow
- 9/16: Library Card Pouch
- 9/23: Raised Salt Painting
- 9/30: Pom-Pom Shooters
- 10/7: Straw Weaving
- 10/14: 3D Paper Turtle
- 10/21: Paper Bag Fall Luminaries
- 10/28: Apple Stamping Pumpkin
Winnie’s Wiggleworms. Posted Video to YouTube and Facebook.
Nursery/Lapsit/Finger Rhymes: Posted Video to Facebook. Click Here.
- June 29 Video
- July 6 Video
- July 13 Video
- July 20 Video
- July 27 Video
- August 3 Video
- August 10 Video
- Books Finger Rhymes- 9/18
- Apples Finger Rhymes- 9/25
- Leaves Finger Rhymes- 10/2
- Pumpkin Finger Rhymes- 10/9
- Ghost Finger Rhymes- 10/23
- Halloween Finger Rhymes- 10/30
- Squirrel Finger Rhymes- 11/6
- Kindness Finger Rhymes- 11/13
- Thanksgiving Finger Rhymes- 11/20
Digital Book Recommendations:
- Recommendations using HOOPLA
- Recommendations using OverDrive
- Recommendations using RBdigital Part 1 and Part 2
- Recommendations using SimplyE
- Recommendations of Favorite E-Books
- Recommendations of Favorite Audiobooks
- Friday, May 8 Recording
- Friday, May 15 Recording
- Friday, May 22 Recording
- Friday, June 5 Recording
- Friday, June 12 Recording
Lego Challenge: From March 24th-June 23rd each week we posted a building challenge for you to make with LEGOS. Below you can see the challenges if you dare try to make them.
- March 24th: 20 BLUE LEGOS only
- March 31st: Using at least 3 DIFFERENT colors and at least 30 LEGO pieces- Build Your Bedroom
- April 7th: Using at least 10 LEGOS, build your favorite book character.
- April 14th: Using as many different color LEGOs as you have available, create a colorful animal and name it.
- April 21st: To celebrate Earth Day, this week we ask that you recreate a scene in nature with your LEGOs
- April 28th: Build a Monster as Tall as you can with your LEGOs
- May 5th: Since Yesterday was Star Wars Day (May 4th), build something Star Wars related with your LEGO’s this week
- May 12th: Today create a flying object (this could be real-birds, insects, planes, helicopter or these could be imaginary-flying vehicles, mythical creatures).
- May 19th: Create a vehicle, ie: cars, trucks, planes, UFO’s, trains, boats.
- May 26th: Build a Restaurant. What type of restaurant is it? What kinds of food will they serve? Burgers? Tacos? Ice Cream?
- June 2nd: Build a Summer Beach Scene
- June 9th: Build your dream Library
- June 16th: Use your LEGOs to create a Safari/Zoo!
- June 23rd: Final Lego Challenge: Create your LEGO city with all the things you would want in your dream city/town/island.
Photo Challenge:From March 25th-June 17th each week we posted a photo challenge of a picture to take of something specific. Below find all the challenges if you dare try to take all the pictures.
- March 25th: Take a picture of you reading with an animal (Stuffed or living)
- April 1st: Take a picture of flowers inside your home or in your front or back yards
- April 8th: Take a picture of something fun you are doing at home or outside.
- April 15th: It is a beautiful day today, go outside and find a cloud to take a picture of. Let us know what you see in the cloud or what shape it reminds you of.
- April 22nd: Go outside and take a picture of a bird or birdhouse in or around your yard.
- April 29th: To end Poetry Month: Take a picture of something that inspires you to write a poem- write the poem about that picture.
- May 6th: May is Get Caught Reading Month, take a picture of someone in your family reading this week.
- May 13th: I’m hearing lots of springtime sounds from outside: birds, lawn-mowers, dogs barking. Today, your challenge is to take a picture of something that makes a sound so that we can all imagine hearing it.
- May 20th: Some families opened their pools this week-Take a picture of a body of water: lake, pond, stream, river, pool.
- May 27th: Take a photo of a place you like to sit outside. Is it a hammock? Next to your pool? Where is your favorite sitting spot?
- June 3rd: Food! Take a photo of something you have baked/cooked and enjoyed this week.
- June 10th: Take a picture of an insect.
- June 17th: Take a photo of an item or items that are your favorite color.