Upcoming Virtual Programming
Mondays-Saturdays, 11-4 (when Library is open)
For Children, Teens and Adults.
|Grab a craft-to-go bag at the entrance to the children’s room. Each craft is labeled on the outside with the name and has directions if more than a simple coloring craft. For all ages. Different crafts each day we are opened Monday-Saturday 11am-4pm.|
Winter Reading BINGO
Card Pick-Ups: January 4-31
Submissions Due by: March 1
Children, Teens and Adults are invited to pick up a Winter Reading Bingo Sheet during the month of January during our open hours 10am-4pm at Curbside in our Vestibule. Fill in the bingo sheet by reading 5 books in a row- horizontally, diagonally, or vertically. Submit your bingo sheet when this is completed (or continue on to complete more bingo lines for more chances) to be entered to win a prize basket for your age group. We have 3 groups:
Please be sure to pick up the correct bingo sheet for your age group. You will have until March 1 to submit (we will have a box in the vestibule for submissions beginning February 1). You may submit multiple BINGO lines on one card if you have different lines completed. These each are different entries. If you fill your entire bingo card, you will get a separate prize. Winners will be notified after the final submissions have been received.
Mock Nutmeg Book Award Elementary Committee (For Hurlbutt Students Only)
Mondays, March 1, 8, 15, 22 & 29 @ 4:00 PM via Zoom.
Registration required. Limited Space!
Join our 5-week-long session for our Mock Nutmeg Book Award Elementary Committee. During these 5 weeks, Hurlbutt Elementary Students will have a chance to discuss all 15 nominees for the 2021 Nutmeg Elementary Book Award. Each student will be assigned 1 of the books in which they will become the “CAMPAIGN MANAGER” and create a poster urging students to vote for their title when the state votes in April. The posters will be hung up at Hurlbutt Elementary School for all students to see during voting time. Students in this committee will also get a free copy of their book from the Weston Library along with the poster creation material (picked up at the Weston Public Library or arranged to be picked up at Hurlbutt with Ms. Rodko). Each week we will discuss 3-4 titles- the schedule of discussion will be sent before our first meeting. There is limited space in this special program, so we ask that if you register, you commit to all 5 program dates. We will meet via Zoom on these days: Monday: March 1, 8, 15, 22 & 29 at 4:00 PM. Each meeting will be approximately 30-45 minutes. All students will be expected to have read or heard the titles being discussed so they can contribute to the discussion. Open only to students in Hurlbutt Elementary School as a co-sponsored program between Weston Public LIbrary and Hurlbutt LRC. Registration will open on February 24 at 4:00 PM. Please use THIS GOOGLE FORM to register
Read Across America Day: Fox in Socks Puppet
Tuesday, March 2 Pick Up
To celebrate Dr. Seuss’ birthday and Read Across America Day, we are offering a limited supply of Fox in Socks Paper Bag Puppet kits. In order to get a kit, you must register here and be able to pick up your kit on Read Across America day (Tuesday, March 2) at curbside pickup. We will put your name on your craft bag in the vestibule for pick up with all items needed inside (you will use the bag as well). For all ages. Register Here
Paper Bag Princess Day is March 6th!
Celebrate with us by joining us for a virtual recorded storytime. During the week of March 1-6, you can pick up a Paper Bag Princess Day kit at curbside. Choose to do the activities inside your kit throughout the week or on Saturday to celebrate Paper Bag Princess Day. Register here to ensure you get a kit, then pick it up at curbside during our open hours of 10am-4pm March 1-6. Make sure to watch the storytime on Saturday to hear the full story. Storytime will be posted on Saturday morning at 10:00 AM on our Facebook, Youtube and Website. Register here.
Youth Art Month Celebration Submissions for Video Requested!
Video Posted on March 11, 2021.
Are you a child or teen artist that has created something beautiful or inspiring that you would like to share? March is Youth Art Month and we want to celebrate you! Send us a picture or video of your art for our Youth Art Month Celebration Video. E-mail submissions to email@example.com.
Facebook LIVE Programs:
Alphabet Soup: Stories and Learning
Wednesdays, March 10, 17, 24 & 31. For ages 3-6.
*Registration required for material pick-up. Must register on 3/10 date to get materials. Join Miss Alessandra on Facebook LIVE for themed stories, songs and activities. Pick up this months folder with book titles, song lyrics, and activity sheets the week of March 1-6 or March 8-9
Thursday, March 25. 10:00 AM Facebook LIVE
For ages 2-4. *Registration required for material pick-up. Must register to get materials. Join Miss Alessandra on Facebook LIVE for a themed book, song and building activity. Pick up this month’s Tinker materials and activity sheet the week of March 15-20 Register here.
Fridays, March 5 & 19. 4:00 PM Facebook LIVE.
For Ages 10+
Listen to the first chapter of a new Junior Fiction or Young Adult Fiction book on our Facebook LIVE. If you like it, you can place a hold and pick it up at the library
Spring Storytime LIVE on Facebook
Monday, March 22 @ 10:00 AM on Facebook LIVE.
Join Miss Alessandra on the library’s facebook page for a special Spring storytime where she will read stories and sing songs for the start of Spring. For all ages.
ZOOM LIVE EVENTS:
Registration required on calendar
2021 Nutmeg Nominee Book Discussions
Join us for a book discussion on the 2021 Nutmeg Book Award Nominees. Each week we will focus on a different Nutmeg Book Award Level and discuss all the nominees that are up for this year’s award. We invite those that have read the nominees to join us and express why you think your peers should vote for a certain nominee when it comes time to vote in April. Remember! The Nutmeg Book Award is voted on by Connecticut’s Youth, which means only kids and teens have a voice in who wins these awards. Register separately for each discussion. Discussion Schedule: All discussions will take place on Tuesdays at 4:00 PM via Zoom.
Carry Out & Craft: Paper Strip Shamrocks
Friday, March 12 @ 4:00 PM via Zoom.
This is a specially made Carry Out & Craft for our littlest artists! We invite those ages 1-10 to register for our Paper Strip Shamrock craft. You will be provided all materials needed to make these shamrock decorations. Register to reserve your kit and pick up at curbside during our open hours 10am-4pm the week of March 8-12. Then, join us virtually on Zoom to get step-by-step instructions on how to put your shamrocks together. Please only register for a kit if you intend to join us on the virtual zoom event. Zoom links will be sent to the e-mail provided the day of the event. Pickup of materials must happen March 8-12 at curbside during open hours of 10am-4pm. Register Here.
Carry Out & Craft: Shamrock Slime
Wednesday, March 17 @ 4:00 PM via Zoom
Those in grades K-8 can register to get a SLIME kit. We ask that you then join us on our zoom event on Wednesday, March 17 @ 4:00 PM as we guide you through the step-by-step instructions on how to make your slime.. Please only register for a kit if you plan to come to the zoom interactive portion of this program. Registration required. Pick-up of materials will be the week of March 8-13 during our open hours of 10am-4pm. Register here.
Thursday, March 18 @ 4:00 PM via Zoom: Egg Parachutes
Those in grades K-6 can register to get a STEM kit. We ask that you then join us on our zoom event on Thursday, March 18 @ 4:00 PM as we guide you through the step-by-step instructions on how to make your project.. Please only register for a kit if you plan to come to the zoom interactive portion of this program. Registration required. Pick-up of materials will be the week of March 8-13 during our open hours of 10am-4pm. Register here.
Thursday, March 25 @ 4:00 PM via Zoom: Growing Beans
Those in grades K-6 can register to get a STEM kit. We ask that you then join us on our zoom event on Thursday, March 25 @ 4:00 PM as we guide you through the step-by-step instructions on how to make your project.. Please only register for a kit if you plan to come to the zoom interactive portion of this program. Registration required. Pick-up of materials will be the week of March 15-20 or March 22-24 during our open hours of 10am-4pm. Register here.
Book C.H.A.T. Discussions
Grades 3-5: Tuesday, March 23 @ 4:00 PM via Zoom.
This is a dual book discussion. We will be reading and discussing different books recommended by our Book Chat Participants. Feel free to read one or both of the books for the discussion. We will be discussing Spy School by Stuart Gibbs & The Puzzling World of Winston Breen by Eric Berlin Those in grades 3-5 are invited to join us. If you have not read either of these books and would like to join, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org in order to have a copy of the book you want to read for the discussion put on hold for you or go into your library account at westonpubliclibrary.org and place the hold yourself. At this meeting we will also be giving a name to our Book Chat group, so come with your ideas! Register here.
Grades 4-6: Wednesday, March 31 @ 4:00 PM via Zoom
This is a dual book discussion. We will be reading and discussing 2 very different books recommended by our Book Chat Participants. Feel free to read one or both of the books for the discussion. We will be discussing The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin and Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea. Those in grades 4-6 are invited to join us. If you have not read either of these books and would like to join, please e-mail email@example.com in order to have a copy of the book you want to read for the discussion put on hold for you or go into your library account at westonpubliclibrary.org and place the hold yourself. At this meeting we will also be giving a name to our Book Chat group, so come with your ideas! Register here.
Food Explorers: Kids & Teens
Grades K-12 and Parents
Session 3: Monday, March 15 @ 6:00 PM via Zoom
Learn How to Make Broccoli Cheese Calzones
Join Food Explorers to make homemade Broccoli Cheese Calzones! We’ll be making the crust AND the filling all from scratch! You’ll need the following ingredients: yeast, flour, sugar, salt, olive oil, broccoli, ricotta cheese, 1 egg and your choice of either cheddar cheese, shredded mozzarella or both! We will send you the zoom link the day of the program. Registration is required. Please register as a family and use one zoom account. Register Here.
Among Us Meetup
Wednesday, March 24 @ 4:00 PM, via Zoom and Among Us App.
If you love the game Among us and want to find some friends to play with, consider joining this meetup. We will connect via Zoom and provide you all with the code to have an Among Us Room. You can chat as you play to try to confuse the other players as you try to complete your tasks and unveil the IMPOSTER. For those ages 8-15. Registration required to get the zoom link. Zoom link will be sent out the day of the event. Limited space available. Must have the among us app and a computer/phone/tablet to participate. Register here.
Carry Out & Craft: Butterfly Canvas Art
Friday, March 26 @ 4:00 PM via Zoom.
This is a specially made Carry Out & Craft for our littlest artists! We invite those ages 1-12 to register for our Paper Strip Shamrock craft. You will be provided all materials needed to make a beautiful butterfly canvas art print that even the littlest member of your family can help create. Register to reserve your kit and pick up at curbside during our open hours 10am-4pm the week of March 22-26. Then, join us virtually on Zoom to get step-by-step instructions on how to create your painting. Please only register for a kit if you intend to join us on the virtual zoom event. Zoom links will be sent to the e-mail provided the day of the event. Pickup of materials must happen March 22-26 during curbside during open hours of 10am-4pm. Register here.
Recordings posted here at their specific times, on Facebook and on our YouTube Channel.
Storytime with Miss Laura
Tuesdays, March 2. 9. 16. 23 & 30
Video posted @ 10:00 AM.
For Ages Birth-8.
Watch Miss Laura read stories and sing songs and join along at your own leisure.
Craft @ Home
Wednesdays, March 3, 10, 17, 24 & 31.
Video posted @ 3:30 PM.
For Ages 3+.
Follow Miss Laura as she guides you through making a craft using household items. * Please note: supplies for these crafts are not provided, but are materials you likely have in your home.
- 3/3- In Like a Lion, Out Like a Lamb Masks – Materials: two paper plates, two craft or popsicle sticks, paint, paintbrushes, cotton balls, yarn, scissors, glue, tape
- 3/10- Recycled Robot – Materials: paper roll, tin foil, recycled materials: drinking straws, bottle caps, bits of pipe cleaner, buttons, scissors; single hole punch or other way of making holes in the tube, glue or double sided tape, stapler, optional: stickers, googly eyes, wooden kebab stick
- 3/17- End of the Rainbow Twirler – Materials: paper plate, paint (every color of the rainbow), black and yellow paper, scissors, glue, string, glitter (optional)
- 3/24- DIY Hand Drum – Materials: plastic or paper bowls, drinking straws or stick, ribbon or string, glue, decorations (washi tape, paint, or stickers), large beads, scissors
- 3/31- Lighthouse Craft – Materials: paper or styrofoam cup, clear plastic cup or packaging, yellow tissue paper or construction paper, paint, paintbrush, glue, black marker, scissors
Ongoing Virtual Programming
2021 Nutmeg Book Award Information: May 1, 2020-April 30, 2021 we invite CT Youth to read the Nutmeg Book Award Nominees which will then be voted on in April of 2021. Videos about the 2021 nominees, where you can access digital copies, and information on voting can be found on our NUTMEG BOOK AWARD PAGE. Congratulations to our Nutmeg Book Award 2020 Winners for all four levels: Elementary: A Boy Called Bat by Elana K. Arnold Intermediate: Ban This Book by Alan Gratz Middle School: Posted by John David Anderson High School: Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds
1000 Books Before Kindergarten: Even though we aren’t opened, doesn’t mean your child can’t continue on their 1000 books before kindergarten challenge. Just keep track of the books they are reading and collect all the fun prizes when we reopen. More information on the program can be found HERE.
Past Virtual Programming Videos
- Tuesday, March 24 Storytime
- Thursday, April 2 Storytime
- Thursday, April 9 Storytime
- Thursday, April 16 Storytime
- Thursday, April 23 Storytime
- Thursday, April 30 Storytime
- Thursday, May 7 Storytime
- Thursday, May 7 Storytime
- Thursday, May 14 Storytime
- Thursday, May 21 Storytime
- Thursday, May 28 Storytime
- 9/1: Back-to-School Storytime
- 9/8: All About Fall Storytime
- 9/15: Libraries! Storytime
- 9/22: Unpredictable Life Storytime
- 9/29: Imagination Storytime
- 10/6: Be Yourself Storytime
- 10/13: Turtles Storytime
- 10/20: Exploring Storytime
- 10/27: Halloween Storytime
- 11/3: Space Storytime
- 11/10: Kindness Storytime
- 11/17: In the Mood for Food Storytime
- 11/24: Animal Countdown
- 12/1: Stuffed Animal Storytime
- 12/8: Owls Storytime
- 12/15: Princess and Prince Storytime
- 12/22: Snowmen Storytime
- 12/29: Talking Taters Storytime
- 1/5: Little Monsters Storytime
- 1/12: Pizza Storytime
- 1/19: Life of a Bear Storytime
- 1/26: Parties That are Out of This World Storytime
- 2/2: Dragon Storytime
- 2/9: Take the Library to Your Child Week Storytime
- 2/16: Valentine’s Day Storytime
- 2/23: Dinosaur Storytime
Past LIVE recordings of storytime can be found in our Facebook Archive.
- March 23rd: Fabric Scraps Mosaic
- March 30th: Duct Tape Checker Board
- April 6th: Cardboard Box Marble Maze
- April 13th: Paper Marble Roller Coaster
- April 20th: Butterfly Zip line
- April 27th: Balloon Bowls
- May 4th: Paper Plate Gift Basket for Mother’s Day
- May 11th: Recycled Magazine Baskets
- May 18th: Recycled Can Bird Feeder
- June 1st: Paper Cup Parachute
- June 8th:Straw Paddle Boat
- June 15th:Cardboard Box Table Soccer
- June 22nd: Paper Tube Ball and Cup Game
- June 29: Paper Plate Ring Toss
- July 6: Bird Swings
- July 13: Three Little Pigs House Challenge
- July 20: Fairy/Troll House
- July 27: Recycled Musical Instruments
- August 3: Butterfly Feeders
- August 10: Yard Games
Fun with Food
- Week 1: Carnivals/Circus/Fairs- Red, White and Blue Frozen Lemonades and Cinnamon Caramel Apples Video
- Week 2: Animals- Cream Cheese Penguins and Worm Cakes Video
- Week 3: Fairytales/Myths/Stories/Rhymes/Songs- Harry Potter Pretzel and Cheese Broomsticks and Harry Potter Imitation Butter Beer
- Week 4: Mythical Creatures- Dragon Smoothies and Dragon Waffles Video
- Week 5: Art- Artist’s Palette Sugar Cookies and Rainbow Unicorn Slushies Video
- Week 6: Nature Fun with Food video cancelled due to power outage
- Week 7: Summer Fun- Pineapple Orange Coolers and Banana Yogurt Pops Video
Craft @ Home
- 3/25: Springtime Wreath
- 4/1: Egg Carton Dragonfly
- 4/8: Toilet Paper Easter Bunny
- 4/15: Egg Carton Trees for Earth Day
- 4/22: Windsocks
- 4/29: Paper Roll Rainbow Flower
- 5/6: Q-tip Daisies
- 5/13: Paper Plate Snails
- 5/20: Paper Strip Rainbows
- 5/27: Silly Monsters
- 6/3: Bottle Cap Bees
- 6/10: Paper Plate Sailboat
- 6/17: Paper Spinner
- 6/24: Paper Roll Fireflies
- 7/1: Carnival Masks
- 7/ 8: Rainbow Fish
- 7/15: Pop Goes the Weasel
- 7/22: Unicorn Puppet
- 7/29: Color Collage
- 8/5: Nature Cuffs
- 8/12: Frisbees
- 9/2: Pencil Toppers
- 9/9: Torn Paper Scarecrow
- 9/16: Library Card Pouch
- 9/23: Raised Salt Painting
- 9/30: Pom-Pom Shooters
- 10/7: Straw Weaving
- 10/14: 3D Paper Turtle
- 10/21: Paper Bag Fall Luminaries
- 10/28: Apple Stamping Pumpkin
- 11/25: DIY Race Car
- 12/30- Homemade Puffy Paint
- 2/3 – Groundhog Day Craft
- 2/10 – Painted Rock Bookends
- 2/17 – Love Birds
- 2/24- Dinosaur Balloons
Winnie’s Wiggleworms. Posted Video to YouTube and Facebook.
Nursery/Lapsit/Finger Rhymes: Posted Video to Facebook. Click Here.
- June 29 Video
- July 6 Video
- July 13 Video
- July 20 Video
- July 27 Video
- August 3 Video
- August 10 Video
- Books Finger Rhymes- 9/18
- Apples Finger Rhymes- 9/25
- Leaves Finger Rhymes- 10/2
- Pumpkin Finger Rhymes- 10/9
- Ghost Finger Rhymes- 10/23
- Halloween Finger Rhymes- 10/30
- Squirrel Finger Rhymes- 11/6
- Kindness Finger Rhymes- 11/13
- Thanksgiving Finger Rhymes- 11/20
- Cold Weather Finger Rhymes- 12/4
- Snow Finger Rhymes-12/11
- Holiday Fun Finger Rhymes- 12/18
Digital Book Recommendations:
- Recommendations using HOOPLA
- Recommendations using OverDrive
- Recommendations using RBdigital Part 1 and Part 2
- Recommendations using SimplyE
- Recommendations of Favorite E-Books
- Recommendations of Favorite Audiobooks
- Friday, May 8 Recording
- Friday, May 15 Recording
- Friday, May 22 Recording
- Friday, June 5 Recording
- Friday, June 12 Recording